Housing Sources

Housing Associations

Housing associations are not-for-profit bodies that provide low-cost “social housing” for people in housing need. Any trading surplus is used to maintain existing homes and to help finance new ones. They are now the major providers of new homes for rent, while many also run shared ownership schemes to help people who cannot afford to buy their own homes outright. Much of the supported accommodation for people with learning disabilities is provided by Housing Associations.

Local Authority Housing Department

People with a learning disability are entitled to apply for local authority housing in the usual way, through their local housing department.

For further information contact:

Social Lettings Unit
P O Box 364
Cardiff CF11 1BW
Tel: 029 2053 7111

Housing Department
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Civic Offices
Holton Road
Barry CF63 4RU
Tel: 01446 700111
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Private Rental

For some people, particularly those with few support needs, private rental accommodation is an option.

The Family Home

Some people have continued to be supported in living in their family home after the death of their parents, for example. The legal position regarding leaving properties in Wills through trusts is complex.

No video selected.


Help and guidance relating to assessments, children's services, education, and more


Information on services, care standards, activities, accommodation and more.



Some pointers to information that will be useful to all involved with people with learning disabilities


Helping hands in the directory of groups, organisations, clubs and services


It is essential that all parties can get away and enjoy the occasional break using the range of respite provision.

We gratefully acknowledge the support of these sponsors

lloyds foundation logo